Re: What's the plan for the user guide?

2006/2/6, Alexander Kirillov <shurik179 gmail com>:
On 2/4/06, karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:

> Has anybody asked the copyright holders if they wouldn't mind releasing
> under a new license ? I don't see what SUN would gain from refusing. We
> could maybe ask them through their people who work on GNOME... Who else
> holds copyright on this ?

Why don't we ask Sun? I can provide emails of people in Sun's doc team
(they also used to have an email alias for the whole doc team - not
sure if it still works). I expect they still read this list but mostly
they are quiet here.

For the record, so far no one ever asked me about relicensing (I am
not among the authors of user guide, but I am an author of various
other gnome documents, such as GNOME terminal  manual, bug buddy etc)

May I don't  know  anything about licensing, but one thing I know, I'm rewriting the GNOME User Guide.

I'm following the next rules:

- It'll be free. (Plase take note all of my work in the Wiki is for every one).

- The documentation, and specially the User Guide, *must Guide the user* from your first steps to the most complex task in the use of his computer.

- I'm following a "bottom to high" description of each task. This is why I created three sections in the Wiki: "Using your Desktop", "Configuring your Desktop" and "Utilities". I don't know if they'll be on the Guide, this is a desition of the comunity.

- I'm trying to avoid the use "GNOME" when refer to the Desktop and the first steps of the user; becouse I think that the user must know about your system first and then know about the name of the software. Of course in advanced sections, I'll use the GNOME as a common one, becouse I'll introduce it quite a bit across the document.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los cuates: LIBRE)