What's the plan for the user guide?

Hi all.
I've got my CVS access and I managed a commit. (Though
I don't know what the announcement about branching
means for docs -- does it apply to us, and if so, what
do I need to do?)

Now I'm in a position to make commits without waiting
on Shaun's lazy ass (his words, not mine :), I intend
to look at Karderio's patch and Daniel's work on the
wiki.

But beyond that, what is the plan for the user guide?
I spoke to Brent on IRC who said Shaun has a plan to
rewrite the guide from scratch so it can be under a
different licence. (Ironic that the GFDL is rubbish
for Gnome user docs, really.)
I'd like to do a fair bit of reorganizing of the
guide, first of all on the user-visible side, and
after the 2.14 release on the CVS side and clean up
all the old crap in there. But is it worth it if we're
planning to rewrite it all?

Also, when's a good time to catch people on IRC? The
place is tumbleweed. It would be helpful if people
used their nick to say whether they are actually there
or not. Or maybe just switched their PCs off while
they're asleep???