Re: What's the plan for the user guide?

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 12:10 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> But beyond that, what is the plan for the user guide?
> I spoke to Brent on IRC who said Shaun has a plan to
> rewrite the guide from scratch so it can be under a
> different licence. (Ironic that the GFDL is rubbish
> for Gnome user docs, really.)

Doh, if a rewrite is planned I might have started contributing somewhere
else :-O No matter.

Are the troubles with the GFDL so bad that we need a rewrite ? It would
seem like a lot of work when we seem to have trouble maintaining things
as is...

Has anybody asked the copyright holders if they wouldn't mind releasing
under a new license ? I don't see what SUN would gain from refusing. We
could maybe ask them through their people who work on GNOME... Who else
holds copyright on this ?

How would you rewrite things such as "how to create a new folder" whilst
respecting the GDP style guide without writing the exact same thing we
already have ?

> I'd like to do a fair bit of reorganizing of the
> guide, first of all on the user-visible side, and
> after the 2.14 release on the CVS side and clean up
> all the old crap in there. But is it worth it if we're
> planning to rewrite it all?

I'd say a cleanup would be nice.

> Also, when's a good time to catch people on IRC? The
> place is tumbleweed. It would be helpful if people
> used their nick to say whether they are actually there
> or not. Or maybe just switched their PCs off while
> they're asleep???

I also sometimes wonder if I am talking to nobody. Are there any logs
for the docs channel ?

Love, Karderio