Re: stylesheets

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 12:19:56PM -0500, David Mason wrote:
> David Merrill <david lupercalia net> writes:
>

> > What I am concerned about is interoperability, not uniformity of
> > appearance. Also I want to avoid duplicating work. A perfect example
> > is the hack that allows png images. We can all benefit from that.
>
> Absolutely - but this really isn't taking place in the stylesheets it
> is in the DTD. Both KDE & GNOME have basically the same hack to take
> care of the png problem - but this problem does go away with DB4.x +
> (due in large part to a unified RFE by KDE & GNOME people working
> together).

I didn't know that you were already working with the kde people. It
looks like I'm the one that has been out of the loop, which is my
own fault. Well I'm here now and I'll learn.

> I think the future problems will be areas in which we try to display
> the help information. I know that the GDP wants to move to DB XML 4.x
> which is standardized - and as long as I am involved I will promote us
> staying with an un-hacked version of DB (not withstanding the png hack
> for 3.x).

I'm glad to hear that. I don't advocate hacking the dtd either.

> However, with regards to the tools we use, we cannot diverge in the
> basic functionality. For example, KDE was (not sure if this should be
> 'is') doing some sort of HTML hacks to get a TOC/Index in their
> browser - those things need to be unified and built into the browsers
> in my opinion. DocBook has the necessary elements to build the tools
> to create such things - we just have to all *use* the elements.

Hopefully scrollkeeper will be the answer to this problem.

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net
                                       Finger me for my public key

	A novice was trying to fix a broken lisp machine by turning the
power off and on.  Knight, seeing what the student was doing spoke sternly,
"You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding
of what is going wrong."  Knight turned the machine off and on.  The
machine worked.