Re: stylesheets

David Merrill <david lupercalia net> writes:

> What I am concerned about is interoperability, not uniformity of
> appearance. Also I want to avoid duplicating work. A perfect example
> is the hack that allows png images. We can all benefit from that.

Absolutely - but this really isn't taking place in the stylesheets it
is in the DTD. Both KDE & GNOME have basically the same hack to take
care of the png problem - but this problem does go away with DB4.x +
(due in large part to a unified RFE by KDE & GNOME people working
together).

I think the future problems will be areas in which we try to display
the help information. I know that the GDP wants to move to DB XML 4.x
which is standardized - and as long as I am involved I will promote us
staying with an un-hacked version of DB (not withstanding the png hack
for 3.x).

However, with regards to the tools we use, we cannot diverge in the
basic functionality. For example, KDE was (not sure if this should be
'is') doing some sort of HTML hacks to get a TOC/Index in their
browser - those things need to be unified and built into the browsers
in my opinion. DocBook has the necessary elements to build the tools
to create such things - we just have to all *use* the elements.

Cheers,

Dave
--

David Mason