Re: [gnome-db]new version of gASQL and Libgda RPMS

On 10 Aug 2001 22:02:23 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 09:54:42AM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW, I managed to make some RPMS for the Mandrake 7.1 with Ximian Gnome but they are not
> > > really good (problems with the menu system), but gnomedb-fe is working well on it.
> > >
> > > However I get a bonobo error message at bonobo init:
> > > Bonobo-WARNING **: Can not resolve initial reference to ORB
> > >
> > > gASQL-ERROR **: Impossible d'initialiser bonobo
> > > aborting...
> > > Abort
> > >
> > > Can you check that the init of bonobo in gASQL works correctly for you, and tell me.
> > >
> > no, it does not work neither for me, but I've found the problem, which
> > is that you're not calling gda_init or gnome_db_init. That is, the main
> > function should look as follows:
> >
> > 	/* CORBA and GNOME init */
> >         gda_init (PACKAGE, VERSION, argc, argv);
> >         gnome_init_with_popt_table (PACKAGE,    /* app_id */
> >                                     VERSION,    /* app_version */
> >                                     argc, argv, options,        /*
> > options */
> >                                     0,  /* popt_flags */
> >                                     &return_ctx);       /* return_ctx */
> >
> >         //if (bonobo_init (gda_corba_get_orb (), NULL, NULL) == FALSE)
> >         //      g_error (_("Could not initialize bonobo"));
> >         //bonobo_activate();
> >
> > that is, you call gda_init and you don't need to call bonobo_init, which
> > is already called by gda_init/gnome_db_init. Doing this change made it
> > work for me.
>
> I have never had this problem before. I think I had checked the init functions
> in the main() where the same as for gnomedb-fe, and it has always worked for me!
> Well at least this works on the Mandrake 8!

are you sure? It shouldn't work, since you're calling gda_corba_get_orb
without having initialized CORBA. That is, you either need a call to
gda_init/gnome_db_init/oaf_init before doing that, or just pass NULL as
the ORB parameter to bonobo_init. But, in this last case, I don't think
it would work, since bonobo_init needs OAF to have been initialized
before.

Maybe you changed the gnome_init_with_popt_table to replace
gnome_CORBA_init or something?

Oh, and BTW, the order in which you call
gda_init/gnome_init_with_popt_table is not relevant, so you can just
move the call to gda_init just before bonobo_init.

> Do you think I should make a new tarball with this modification, or go without
> modification, and wait till we find what the bug for the Mandrake is and then make
> a new release?

I think you should make a new tarball, since it won't work like this.
And, about the Mandrake problem, I'm almost sure (after having checked
with Michael Meeks) that it's got something to do with the packages, not
with bonobo/oaf/libgda/gASQL themselves. Well, at least, I hope so :-)