Re: gda-sybase in new release (was Re: new release)

Hi!

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 08:05:22PM -0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Subject: Re: gda-sybase in new release (was Re: new release)
> From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo linuxave net>
> To: Holger Thon <holger gidayu max uni-duisburg de>
> Cc: gnome-db-list gnome org
> Date: 17 Nov 2000 20:05:22 -0100
>

> > I've been looking at the configure.in, but did not find the error yet. With

Fixed. :-)

> > > but does it work more or less well (sorry, I haven't tested it, but because
> > > I've got no sybase installed)? if so, I think it should go in the new release,
> > > maybe as a preview version. What do you think?
> >
> as long as you use shared libs, it is ok, I think, or is there any license
> problem with that? if there's no problem, I think we should provide it as
> RPM, as with the oracle provider. (Akira, what about debian packages for
> these 2 providers?)

I don't think it'll be a licence problem if we dynamically link the provider,
because you would need the openclient runtime libraries to use it anyway.
Additionally, Sybase still offers release 11.0.3.3 of ASE for free (as well
deployment as developement) and 11.9.2 for free for developement, see
http://www.sybase.com/linux/ase.

The 11.0.3.3 rpm is about 32MB size, optional glibc 2.0.6 and documentation
rpm aquire 500kB and 8,5MB.

I just read that freetds 0.51 is out, so i will focus on making gda-tds-server
work with that release.

Ciao,

  Holger