Re: gda-sybase in new release (was Re: new release)

> I've been looking at the configure.in, but did not find the error yet. With
> an older, adapted configure.in (from gnome-db 0.0.96), i was able to compile
> the cvs release, but this does not contain many providers which have been
> added meanwhile. I'll have a closer look this weekend at the cvs's configure.in
> when also continuing porting to freetds.

great! apart from freetds provider, Alvaro is restarting his work on the
MDB (MS Access) provider.

> > > But this needs
> > > to be linked against the sybase's commercial openclient libs to compile.
> > >
> > but does it work more or less well (sorry, I haven't tested it, but because
> > I've got no sybase installed)? if so, I think it should go in the new release,
> > maybe as a preview version. What do you think?
>
> It works quite good, even some schemes are implemented. However, there might
> be license regarded problems linking against commercial libs.
> Perhaps, when we fix the configure.in problem, it might be included in the
> source distribution.
> How has this been solved with e.g. oracle provider?

as long as you use shared libs, it is ok, I think, or is there any license
problem with that? if there's no problem, I think we should provide it as
RPM, as with the oracle provider. (Akira, what about debian packages for
these 2 providers?)