gda-sybase in new release (was Re: new release)

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 09:38:36AM -0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Subject: Re: new release
> From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo linuxave net>
> To: Holger Thon <holger gidayu max uni-duisburg de>
> Cc: gnome-db-list gnome org
> Date: 17 Nov 2000 09:38:36 -0100
>

> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > Antoher thing: I've been talking in private with Akira about making
> > > weekly packages from CVS
> > > (debs and RPMs) and he agreed, so after this new release, there will be
> > > weekly packages built
> > > to avoid the "hundred" messages we get between one release and another
> > > about people
> > > having problems with the bonobo/GConf/oaf versions installed on their
> > > systems.
> > >
> > > And, Holger: do you think the sybase provider is ready to be packaged as
> > > the other stable
> > > providers for this new release? If so, I'll take into account this when
> >
> > I'm sorry it isn't, yet.
> >
> > The old source in gda-sybase-server should compile if the
> > dnl lines in configure.in somebody put in are commented out.
> >
> That was me, because there was a syntax error I couldn't find, and then,
> I've forgotten about it. So please Holger, put it again as it was. And sorry
> for forgetting.

I've been looking at the configure.in, but did not find the error yet. With
an older, adapted configure.in (from gnome-db 0.0.96), i was able to compile
the cvs release, but this does not contain many providers which have been
added meanwhile. I'll have a closer look this weekend at the cvs's configure.in
when also continuing porting to freetds.

> > But this needs
> > to be linked against the sybase's commercial openclient libs to compile.
> >
> but does it work more or less well (sorry, I haven't tested it, but because
> I've got no sybase installed)? if so, I think it should go in the new release,
> maybe as a preview version. What do you think?

It works quite good, even some schemes are implemented. However, there might
be license regarded problems linking against commercial libs.
Perhaps, when we fix the configure.in problem, it might be included in the
source distribution.
How has this been solved with e.g. oracle provider?

> > PS: Another problem will be that i suppose (i don't know for sure...) that the
> > system database tables of MS-SQL defer from the Sybase tables (as sysdatabases
> > for information about databases, syscolumns for any column in any table in
> > the database etc.). So the schemes will not work with an MS SQL server when
> > ready (and have to be adapted to also work with MS SQ from somebody else,
> > then).
> >
> anybody here who knows enough about MS SQL? not me, I've never used it.
> and, will it be possible to know, at run-time, which DB server you are
> connected to?

It could be solved with a dsn parameter to specify if freetds does not
support this.

Ciao,

  Holger