Re: FW: Vinux 3.0 Released!

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Bryen M. Yunashko <suserocks bryen com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 20:52 -0400, Bill Cox wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Bryen M. Yunashko <suserocks bryen com> wrote:
>> > I guess the next question for all of us is, do we have a compiled list
>> > somewhere of A!!Y-oriented distros?
>>
>> No, but that would be very cool.  I know there's Knoppix Adriane,
>> Vinux, Belin, and now Linux Acessível 10.04.  There are also efforts
>> on the speech-recognition front, primarily around using Naturally
>> Speaking to Drive Emacs, but there are also effort to port NS to Wine.
>>  Can we start with this list, and flesh it out?
>>
>> Bill
>
> I don't see why not.  As long as they're GNOME-based or at least come
> with the GNOME Desktop Environment, I see no reason not to create a page
> under http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility listing these distros.  You
> and Tony have both demonstrated the value of these spinoffs as upstream
> contributions to a11y.
>
> And while I still philosophically believe that ultimately we should not
> have to need such spinoffs, your efforts currently show that there is
> value and help pave the way to the true philosophy of a11y.
>
> Bryen M Yunashko
> GNOME-A11y Outreach

I was just contacted by a person in Russia who is working on a version
of Linux for the blind, called ALT Linux Homeros.  Here's it's home
page in Russian:

http://homeros.altlinux.org/

Here's it's homepage translated by Google:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://homeros.altlinux.org/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.marigostra.ru/%26hl%3Den&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhi8Xu8WvY-YUSQ027nRN9SpQv5w_A

I think we should make a page with links to all the specialty distros.

Bill