Re: Starting brltty on edgy ubuntu-powerpc

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 01:29:18AM EST, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Henrik Nilsen Omma on 2006/09/05 at 15:13 +0100]
>
> >It would be nice not to have to use root to start brltty.
>
> Why is the user having to start brltty for himself? This seems like a fairly
> awkward thing for a user who needs braille to have to do on his own, i.e.
> before he can actually read his screen? If the system would start brltty for
> him, as I believe it should (evenb must), then wouldn't that resolve your
> concern as well?

Yes, brltty does have an init script. However, the core Ubuntu
development team had a lot of concerns about BrlTTY, particularly to do
with memory usage, so until a better solution was devised, they simply
prevented the init script from running.

I have been thinking about this myself, and have a few ideas to make
this work better, which will very likely see the light of day in edgy+1.

Henrik, it might be an idea to extend your howto to give info about how
to get Braille up and running with orca. I will discuss this with you
next time I see you on IRC.
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE