Starting brltty on edgy ubuntu-powerpc

Dave Mielke thinks my problem with question marks on the braille display when I try to start brltty using my usb-to-serial cable with the powerpc live cd may be one that has been resolved in the latest repository version of brltty. But he suggested that instead of trying to modify the iso i'm using I try using nofb in the boot parameters. would I do

ubuntu nofb
at the boot prompt. Also is there any way I can know for sure that I am at the boot prompt?

Tia.

--
Cheryl
"Where your treasure is,