Re: Gnome and support for the visually impaired

Hi Dave,

Many/most Braille users have their hearing, and so your locktones application, or something like it, makes a lot of sense. But for deaf-blind, or for people who otherwise want an audio-free environment, do you think some sort of dot-pattern keyboard status indicator on the Braille display would be useful? Though I've heard it is going out of style, many Braille displays dedicated several cells a the far right edge for status indication. We already have a GNOME Keyboard Accessibility status applet GUI. Would a Braille equivalent of that be interesting?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team

Dave Mielke wrote:
[quoted lines by Willie Walker on 2005/09/30 at 13:11 -0400]

Orca attempts to address this problem by using a different
"voice" when speaking uppercase characters/words.  The
default is to merely raise the pitch of the normal voice,
but it is configurable to be any voice from any synthesizer
one might want to use.

That'd certainly work for those using speech. Even when using braille, however,
it's still nice to know the state of the lock(s) before typing. Consider those
applications which perform major functions in response to single key presses,
and wherein the function performed by a letter key is case sensitive.