Re: Getting libgnome* into shape

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 12:41:53AM +0200, Martin Baulig wrote:
> > > When is it appropriate to be used? It sounds like we have three
> > > non-deprecated config systems now!
> > >
> > I suppose they should be used only when parsing desktop files, which is
> > why I think their names should be changed, since as Maciej says, it will
> > seem that we've got 3 configuration systems.
>
> They aren't even needed for this anymore.

Yes they are.  The API in gnome-core is mostly for the reason that we may have
to screw with it long after any 2.0 freeze.  It should not and will not be an
API for outside of GNOME use.  So there is no other API then gnome-config for
reading .desktop files in the platform.

> > So, I suppose it is not such a big deal to rename those functions to
> > gnome_desktop_file or gnome_this_is_not_the_config_system or whatever,
> > and then provide a script to make the change in apps. Also, this could
> > encourage people to move their config settings to GConf/bonobo_conf.
> >
> > The ideal solution IMO for this, would be to move those functions to
> > GLib, but well, a rename should be enough for the moment, I think.
>
> Eeeeek, you don't really want this crap in glib, don't you ?

I think it would be nice to have a simpler .ini style API in GLib.  I mean a
lot of things in gnome_config can get cut off in that process.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.