Re: Getting libgnome* into shape

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 02:53:33PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> What about Michael's concerns about the PropertyBox API?
>
> Also, is there a sane way to do an instant-apply PropertyBox
> (i.e. with onyl a Close button?)

Well we actually spent quite a bit of time discussing this.  A propertybox
is just a few more lines of code with a standard dialog API.  And an instant
apply propertybox is the same.  The gnome-propertybox api adds nothing but
really just a small bit of extra sugar on top of a dialog.  But it's used
very heavily in many places.

> > *  bring back gnome-score (non-deprecated)
>
> I suggest this be moved to a separate games library in the gnome-games
> package. It seems silly to have it in libgnomeui.

I find it utterly silly to have an extra lib for a small widget like that.

> > *  bring back gnome-config (non-deprecated, but with a big
> >    comment explaining when it's appropriate to be used)
> >    (done, the comment needs to be put in place)
>
> When is it appropriate to be used? It sounds like we have three
> non-deprecated config systems now!

It's useful for

  1) Reading/writing .ini style files.  These are around.  Mostly the
     .desktop files, for which this is now the only API
  2) Configuration and files which need to be human readable/writable
     easily.  For example the gdm configuration file.  It's also
     easy to check values from a script for example.

> > *  bring mostly back gnome-i18n (non-deprecated)
> >    (done)
>
> Sounds fine.
>
> > *  finish gnome-about (anders)
>
> Can someone provide more detail/justification? Why not just roll back
> to the GNOME 1 version?

Because it's butt ugly.  I've seen some screenshots of anders's version and
it's beautiful.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>