Re: [Gimp-user] New User Need Help Enlarging/Enhancing Image

On 2018-08-13 15:43, Ofnuts wrote:
On 08/13/18 20:31, Matthew Woehlke via gimp-user-list wrote:
Also, make sure you save the result at least as a JPEG with 98% to 100%
quality, if not PNG.

I second the idea to hide the defects with some heavy "artistic"
filtering, but 98% quality? Totally unnecessary. On rathre expensive
Canon DSLRs, the "fine" JPEG quality is 97%. Going above that add a lot
to file size without adding much in actual quality. After a heavy
filter, 90% would be enough.

Maybe I am overly paranoid because I have seen so many images with
really terrible JPEG artifacts. Still, for high resolution print, I
personally would tend toward the paranoid side; disk space is cheap
these days and we're not talking about GB's...

I seem to recall reading somewhere that around 95-98% you basically
cannot tell the difference vs. lossless.

--
Matthew