[Gimp-user] New User Need Help Enlarging/Enhancing Image

On 2018-08-13 13:09, Partha Bagchi via gimp-user-list wrote:
The image is 2048x1536 (3.1 MP). Best you can hope for is an 8 by 10.
That's inches. If you are willing to sacrifice quality further you can try
printing in 150dpi which would give you 14 by 10.

I'm not sure I'd go even that big. The original was twice that
resolution and had a lot less JPEG artifacting.

Actually... you might be going about this all wrong. If you really want
to use this to produce a very large physical print, I would consider
embracing that the original image is smudgy by upsampling it (maybe to
7200x3600 if not 14400x7200 after cropping it to 2:1) and then applying
some of gimp's artistic filters to achieve a look that is more
"painting" than "photograph". This will make some of the lack of
quality in the original irrelevant. At least give it a try digitally; if
you don't like the result, all you've lost is some time.

Also, make sure you save the result at least as a JPEG with 98% to 100%
quality, if not PNG.

--
Matthew