Re: [Gimp-user] New User Need Help Enlarging/Enhancing Image

On 08/09/18 03:17, nickib wrote:
Sorry but no, or you have a very shitty camera.

- Halos on the edges of the pillars and the bottom of the roofs of the
pagodas, likely some kind of sharpening.

- The roof slopes seem to be made of lace.

- Railings and antennas are blurry (motion blur? the pic was shot at
1/50s but the way people hold their phones this may not be fast
enough).

* Plenty of noise on the white boat to the left

Can look good on a screen, but at 48"? All the problems will jump in
your face. Making that look really good is a lot of work, maybe the
photographer made a very honest offer, or quoted in way to make you go
elsewhere.
Well, I don't think I have a shitty camera, although it is not an $800 one.
It's a Kodak Easyshare.  Before you groan, for as much as I use it, and
understand it, it was at the right pricepoint.  I also have images from that
camera that are in the RAW (extension of KDC) format that I have no way of doing
anything with.  Plus, I don't like the ones from the camera as well as the one
from the iPhone.

Thank you for your input - you clearly have a great eye for detail!

Your camera likely does better pictures, but its default settings may be more neutral than those of your smartphone.

Typically smartphones aim for flashy pictures, and their software will go to great lengths to achieve this. But this also makes further editing of the picture very difficult. By contrast what comes out of a camera is more neutral but is easier to edit.

There are utilities to process RAW files, your camera likely came with such an app, or you can download it from the manufacturer's website. There are otherwise several good free ones.