[Gimp-user] 8 and 1 bit images

...snip...
Every shade of grey in between allows
As mentioned before it works exactly the same with a Gimp layer mask.
Of course Gimp has various options, the standard is 'white' 100%
transparency. Painting in it with black or various greys permits a
layer under to show.

The only thing I suggest looking into when making your images, is
possibly using a Gaussian blur which will create those blurred edges
that create the blend.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thnaks
I have heard about Gaussian blur but not sure how it is implemented. In my
ignorance wouldn't it apply the same all over the image? What if I want a wider
section of 'graduation' than others.
For example (and what I am attempting to achieve) a coast line where the deep
water starts at the edge of the land in some areas and in others there is a
gradual deepening of water from the edge of land to say 500 feet from the shore.
Consider the attached image of a coastline and on the left you see deep water
extending from the land and on the right side the water gradually becoming
deeper.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/702/original/shallow_water.jpg

--