[Gimp-user] 8 and 1 bit images

Sorry I forgot to mention that for this 'water mask' I do NOT need
shading.
For the 'blend mask' I do need shading but that is the one I need to
have as a grayscale 8 bit image which I think I am ok with now

oh...I know nothing about flight simulator x requirements

I can see what you are trying to do, but...

By definition 1 bit is black and white. Add an alpha channel and it is not 1 bit

The best I can suggest is not Gimp but command line ImageMagick.

depending on your OS (I use linux) a command

convert file.tif -channel rgba -alpha on -colorspace gray out.tif

might do the job. You can see the file properties from the screenshot. Adding
alpha tacks on an 8 bit channel.

I suggest asking on the ImageMagick forum, where they are very helpful.

https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/ in the User section

Give them as much info as possible, add a link to an example image if possible

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/692/original/im.jpg

--