[Gimp-user] 8 and 1 bit images

oops.. missed the main question, Convert to grayscale Image -> Mode ->
Grayscale

Export the image as a png or a jpeg (jpeg will use its 8 bit grayscale
mode) or probably a tiff as well.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net
Thanks for th quick replies which is really appreciated.
I have only recently started to use GIMP2 and so in 'learning mode' at present.
I had been using an old version of Paint Shop Pro which wasn't written very well
to handle memory and so I couldn't create layers with large image files which
GIMP2 can.

--
jgarnold (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)