[Gimp-user] 8 and 1 bit images

oh...I know nothing about flight simulator x requirements

I can see what you are trying to do, but...

By definition 1 bit is black and white. Add an alpha channel and it is
not 1 bit

The best I can suggest is not Gimp but command line ImageMagick.

depending on your OS (I use linux) a command

convert file.tif -channel rgba -alpha on -colorspace gray out.tif

might do the job. You can see the file properties from the screenshot.
Adding alpha tacks on an 8 bit channel.

I suggest asking on the ImageMagick forum, where they are very
helpful.

https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/ in the User section

Give them as much info as possible, add a link to an example image if
possible

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks I use Windows 7 64 bit.
I have seen reference to alpha channel but don't know that they are. Could you
explain what an alpha channel is and is there a method of adding a layer which
is not an alpha channel?

Maybe I can EXPORT to another format then import into Paint Shop Pro convert and
save?

--
jgarnold (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)