Re: [Gimp-user] How do I put diacritics in text?

On 05/08/2017 10:11:20 AM, Alex Bell wrote:
I'm afraid I have minimal knowledge of GIMP; I only use it to design simple covers for the ebooks I design for the free ebook library at www.mobileread.com.

The ebook I'm about to start working on is 'The Adventures of Elizabeth in Rügen'. As you can see the u in Rügen has an umlaut, but I can't work out how to produce that with GIMP. The text is white on a black background, so I can't make an image of the text and use that.

Can anyone tell me how to put diacritics in text?

Hi Alex,

I don't see your problem. If you have a keyboard with German umlauts
then just enter the character like ü in Gimp's Texttool ( 'A' in the toolbox).

If you have a US keyboard you can enter the following lines into your $HOME/.Xmodmap

keycode 135 = Mode_switch
keycode 116 = Down
keycode 117 = Next

! For KEYSYMNAME see /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h
! A
        keycode 38 = a A adiaeresis Adiaeresis
! O
        keycode 32 = o O odiaeresis Odiaeresis
! S
        keycode 39 = s S ssharp     ssharp
! U
        keycode 30 = u U udiaeresis Udiaeresis
! E + accent
        keycode 26 = e E eacute egrave

and in   $HOME/.xinitrc add the following lines

xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

# disable autorepeat for the Mode_switch key
xset -r 135

Now, if you press the 'Menu key' (left to the left <Control> key) together with (<SHIFT>) A, O, S or U
you get the German umlaut characters or the German ß character.
You can try this within an XTerm.