[Gimp-user] How do I put diacritics in text?

I'm afraid I have minimal knowledge of GIMP; I only use it to design simple covers for the ebooks I design for the free ebook library at www.mobileread.com.

The ebook I'm about to start working on is 'The Adventures of Elizabeth in Rügen'. As you can see the u in Rügen has an umlaut, but I can't work out how to produce that with GIMP. The text is white on a black background, so I can't make an image of the text and use that.

Can anyone tell me how to put diacritics in text?

--
Regards, Alex
"I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong."