[Gimp-user] 'Saving' problem.

In the gimp, Save and Export are different things.  If you save as
an xcf file, it should have all the layers.  AFAIK a png file cannot
have layers - so to "save" to png (or jpeg) you have to use the
Export command.  You will also find that xcf files are larger than
pngs, so make sure you have enough space on your filesystem
(probably not a big issue in 2.8, particularly if the dimensions of
the png are screen-size, but in 2.9 the xcf files are bigger - I've
filled up /home on one of my machines while editing photos and
saving xcfs (with different names) at various points).

ĸen

@Ken
Hi Ken - Thanks very much for the reply. Very helpful.
I think I have solved the problem. I export the .xcf file to Desktop - then into
a new folder.
I think I was saving then exporting the file before & it was ending up as a .png
file in the new folder!
Thanks for helping me clear that up - much appreciated.

--
JackOats (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)