Re: [Gimp-developer] New Image/Color Management option

On 06/05/2016 12:12 PM, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
On 06/04/2016 02:21 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Supposing the option was renamed to be more explicit about what it
does, would it still bother you?

Making color management "disappear" for users who prefer to not ever think
about color management (very different from "disable color management") is
not such a bad goal, though the new image/color management options don't
(imho) accomplish this goal.

Maybe try something along these lines?

Put a user option in Preferences/Color Management that says "Check this box
if you really don't want to ever be bothered with color management." Write
an explanation that says something like:

If you check this box, the following will happen:

1. sRGB will be used as your monitor profile. If your monitor has an sRGB
emulation mode, please enable it.
      (Perhaps add additional options for users who don't want to think about
color management but do have a monitor or installed system profile that they
want GIMP to use).

2. All color management options will be grayed out in the UI.

Such graying out is a good idea; all of this code is unfinished code
that mitch is currently working on, combined with graying out as well
as setting the title of the titleboxes to the name of the internal
sRGB profile - I think a short text of "Assume sRGB for all profile
settings" might be sufficient for such a check--box, if that is the
direction GIMP choses to take on this issue.

The above text for this proposed global setting in "Preferences/Color Management" sounds good to me. Maybe add an "on-hover" pop-up that explains the purpose of this option is to allow the user to avoid dealing with color management?

3. All imported images will automatically be converted to sRGB for editing.
You won't have to think about this. It will just happen.

Perhaps there could be a warning that color information might be discarded?

For some people this might not be what they desired though; they might
have desired assignment of sRGB rather than conversion to sRGB - to
preserve numeric values; thankfully for sRGB images those actions
would have the same result.

It's been my experience that people who don't understand basic color management also don't understand the difference between converting to and assigning a profile.

Also, the current option in Image/Color Management to Discard the ICC profile already does discard the assigned/embedded profile and assign sRGB in its place.

"Ppreserving numeric values" might be a bit of an advanced concept for the target group of users. What do you think?

4. Your XCF files will be automatically saved in the sRGB color space.

5. All exported images will be exported as untagged sRGB images.
      (Perhaps add an option to embed an sRGB profile from disk for users who
are aware of how Firefox default color management settings. Though this
might be "too much information" as they would also need to know the
difference between what makes sense for UI elements in web design, vs what
makes sense for photographic images.)

Well, it's just a thought. I get emails from people asking me how to avoid
color management as much as possible, and above is pretty much the advice I
give them, and they do seem to understand and follow through. They even
understand the part about Firefox default color management settings once
they've been given an explanation.

The goal of the setting mitch has started experimenting with is a
response to similar desires users baffled by the permutation of
possible misconfigurations of color management continue to express.

In case it wasn't clear, I was proposing the above as an alternative to the new "Image/Color Management" and "New Image" options that have been added to the menus.

I think the recently added options are very likely to create more (not less) confusion in the minds of the target audience of users that find color management confusing.

Best,
Elle