Re: [Gimp-developer] New Image/Color Management option

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Gez <listas ohweb com ar> wrote:
El dom, 05-06-2016 a las 09:26 +0200, Øyvind Kolås escribió:

Practical, applied color management is not that complicated.
Neither is
understanding the basics of radiometrically correct editing.

Most people - including people doing photography and graphic design
work for a living - prefer not to. I used to teach people becoming
such professionals at a university level. It should also be possible
to use GIMP for color scientists and color science geeks that care
more about color accuracy control than image composition.

That should come endorsed by a professional photographer or designer
saying she doesn't care about color management.
We can assume that the silence is because nobody cares. But there is
also a fat chance that there aren't many of those professionals around
here.

It's also possible that many future professionals at university level
truly don't care, because they weren't taught about the importance and
influence of color management in their work.
I know that was the case with me. The quality of my work improved
substantially after I understood the basics of color management.
"just works" for most of the people means "I don't have to care about
that" and that's a huge mistake.

I do graphic design work for a living, and for ideological reasons I
chose to do it with free software. I do care about proper color
management because I know how doing it wrong degrades and limits the
quality of my work.

I am not saying that there should be no ability to do color management
- or that it is worthless. I have been doing color science research as
well as been teaching bits of color reproduction knowledge. I am
saying that expecting a user to understand color management before
being able to do decent work with GIMP and its user interface is
unreasonable. Just like a good photographer beats a bad one with an
expensive camera; detailed knowledge of color management and pixel
representation is secondary to other skills in producing quality
photos.

mitch manages ignore the mailinglist and stay productive - astonishing
given the level of distraction here on gimps mailinglist.

/pippin