Re: [Gimp-developer] What next after sourceforge.net?

On 05/30/2015 03:46 AM, Sam Gleske wrote:

In fact, the direct download link for Windows is a tiny "this link"
at the end of the description paragraph underneath the GIANT torrent
link.

As you can see in the thread I linked to, this is going to change - with
both links to be more prominent than they have been before.

There are plenty of trusted binary hosting services for open source
projects.  One not need look far for alternate hosting if the worry is GIMP
infrastructure overload.

I'm actually not sure if it ever was a real overload, could also jut be
that the web server config we have limited the connections.

Nowadays, this does not seem to be an issue - probably due to the fact
that there are tons of torrent seeders for the current downloads, and
many people use it.

Changing to the current server was not entirely voluntary - we had our
previous one failing, and now GNOME generously provides a virtual
machine in one of the data centers the use themselves.

Personally I feel the "Download" button on the front page should
actually download the software (detecting your browser language and
platform).

For that to work, it will have to be easy to switch between different
platforms.

Regardless of the way in which the downloads are presented.  I do think the
downloads page is pretty busy.  My friends need someone like me to help
them sort it out when they're getting their copy of GIMP.  I feel that flow
is in need of improvement.

I guess the new layout will make it easier for them.

--
Regards,
Michael