Re: [Gimp-developer] What next after sourceforge.net?

Hi,

I'm not a GIMP dev or involved in any way, but a quick comment from me.

One obvious thing: The easier you make it to find the legitimate / real
download the less likely people will look for it elsewhere.

Now let's assume I'm a windows user, not super skilled, but I heared
that GIMP is a good graphics tool and I want to get it.

Right now if I go to the gimp webpage I see a big download button. That
looks good.
However then it gets murky. I get to a download page that will offer me
a bunch of stuff I don't need and don't understand.

I have to scroll down quite a bit to read this:
"Nightly builds for Windows are available at darkrefraction.com. This
is unstable software, please use it at your own risk."

Ok, I as a poor user read: "This is something I don't understand (a
nightly build) and it's dangerous, because they talk about risk."

There is no offer of a windows download that doesn't sound scary.

No wonder people will go elsewhere to get the GIMP.

Make it easier and non-scary to find the right download and you'll take
away downloads from the badware-bundlers.

cu,
--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/