Re: [Gimp-developer] What next after sourceforge.net?

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Michael Schumacher <schumaml gmx de> wrote:

See
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2015-May/msg00034.html
(the mail thread gets constructive beyond the first post).

In this thread, there is work on proposal for the downloads pages that
makes both the torrent link and the direct link (to e.g. the Windows
.exe file) more obvious. The reason for emphasizing the torrent file
over the direct link was to spread knowledge of BitTorrent and put less
load on our server, but having both as equals should work just as fine.

There has been another proposal on our #gimp IRC channel to make the
platform selection available again, I'm currently checking the status of
that.

Yeah... most non-technical people haven't heart of torrents (except for
maybe the ones downloading illegal software, movies, and music).  The
largest link for Windows on that page is a misleading .torrent link (as a
normal person would expect to download the software to install it rather
than download a file that requires them to install other software to
install it).  In fact, the direct download link for Windows is a tiny "this
link" at the end of the description paragraph underneath the GIANT torrent
link.

There are plenty of trusted binary hosting services for open source
projects.  One not need look far for alternate hosting if the worry is GIMP
infrastructure overload.  Personally I feel the "Download" button on the
front page should actually download the software (detecting your browser
language and platform).  Then perhaps make the link on the right called
"Downloads" or "More Downloads" where users can find the comprehensive list
of items to download to their heart's content.

Regardless of the way in which the downloads are presented.  I do think the
downloads page is pretty busy.  My friends need someone like me to help
them sort it out when they're getting their copy of GIMP.  I feel that flow
is in need of improvement.

SAM

--
I prefer to encrypt my email

GPG FINGERPRINT 4096 KEY
8D8B F0E2 42D8 A068 572E
BF3C E8F7 3234 7257 E65F
https://keybase.io/samrocketman

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/