Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp in private schools and educational institutions

El mié, 29-04-2015 a las 14:47 -0400, Nathan Summers escribió:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:34 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:

Furthermore, I suggest you exercise nastyness elsewhere. This is a mailing
list for discussing development of GIMP.

There's nothing nasty about what he said.  The name of the program
actually is a serious impediment to the development of GIMP, and if
it's not to be discussed here, then where?  Sam makes several
excellent points about why GIMP doesn't get the kind of professional
contributions that other projects of similar stature such as the Linux
kernel or Firefox, and I think there's a lot of truth to what he says.

Earlier I proposed to solve this issue by adding the "en_US-prudish"
locale as a joke, but now I'm not sure it's even a joke.
As every message in this thread (and older threads about the same
subject) clearly show, this is an issue that only affects some
americans.
Nobody else seems to be having any troubles with the name.
Even if everyone in the USA have issues with the name (which doesn't
seem to be the case either), it's still a regional issue.
So IT IS a little bit nasty to treat anyone defending the name as idiots
who intentionally chose a name that harms the project.
Nobody else cares about the name outside the US, and coincidentally
nobody seems to be too concerned about GIMP as a "product" competing in
an "industry" as americans are.
Most of us just want to see GIMP becoming a capable tool suitable for
our everyday tasks. I don't think the name will prevent that and I don't
think it will ever prevent coders interested in making it a better tool
from joining the project.

That being said, it is a shame if a few american schools where GIMP
could be used stop using it because of the name, but it seems that it
could be solved by creating a new locale where GIMP is renamed and point
people uncomfortable with the name to change it.
GIM could work.
But again it's a regional issue, and renaming the entire project because
a few people don't like it would be overkill (and yes, in the world
context a few americans whining about the name IS a few people).

The case of the "Mitsubishi Pajero" I referred to earlier was solved by
renaming the product only for a specific region. The product kept the
original name for everywhere else. No big deal apparently.

Gez.