Re: [Gimp-developer] Of Palettes and Plug-ins

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno <gwidion mpc com br>wrote:

Yes, the paramerter PF_PALETTE is passed around as a string - but that
string is teh palette name in GIMP-  teh palette is them usable with
all palette -related PDB functions

I don't want to manipulate a current palette. I want to add code to gimp
core to allow plugins to be written that could parse a palette file and
return a palette object. The gimp core code would then use the returned
palette object to add the palette to the list of palettes. If you want to
get more specific, I want to add some code to the default case of the
gimp_palette_import_from_file to attempt to load a palette using registered
palette loader plugins. I'd like to be able to write them in Python, C, or
whatever other languages are supported for Gimp plugins.

There is no higher level Palette object on the Python side - and it
makes little sens implementing one with the bindigns as they are now
(it would require writting the pallete functionality in low-level C)

From the above comment, I assume that what I want to do will be hard. Any
pointers on what would need to change to make it more useful? I'd be happy
to try to do some of the work if it ends in making possible what I want to
do.

But having the string passed around between plug-ins works as nicely
as it can be - I had written some palette creating/exporting a few
years ago.

Passing around a string doesn't really suit the use case I want to
implement. I basically want the plugin to be able to return a palette that
the core code registers if the running of the plugin is successful.

Are there any pointers for doing this kind of thing that I should be
looking at?

Thanks,
wt