Re: [Gimp-developer] non-destructive editing and adjustment layers

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM,  <kcleung users sourceforge net> wrote:
So in another word: do you mean that gimp git master already has full
support of 32-bit color channels, and there is nothing inside gimp
that silently discards the details of the 32-bit data?

Some plugins do.

Oops...... then this can be dangerous....... you think your data is in
32-bit, but actually it is silently down-cast to 8 bits.

Dangerous to whom? Git master is barely ever recommended for daily use.

I mean that whenever a plugin is used on an image with the channel
size larger than the plugin can support, gimp should output a warning
message about loss of precision.  So I guess would adding a simple
check like this involve much much less work than the porting of a
plugin to GEGL?

I don't understand why you are pushing this. What's so great about not
porting plugins to GEGL and adding checks instead?

Besides, file loaders already warn about the clipping of data, and, as
Joao pointed out, GEGL-based plugins already work differently.

Alexandre