Re: [Gimp-developer] non-destructive editing and adjustment layers

So in another word: do you mean that gimp git master already has full
support of 32-bit color channels, and there is nothing inside gimp
that silently discards the details of the 32-bit data?

Some plugins do.

Oops...... then this can be dangerous....... you think your data is in
32-bit, but actually it is silently down-cast to 8 bits.

Dangerous to whom? Git master is barely ever recommended for daily use.

I mean that whenever a plugin is used on an image with the channel
size larger than the plugin can support, gimp should output a warning
message about loss of precision.  So I guess would adding a simple
check like this involve much much less work than the porting of a
plugin to GEGL?

Although I haven't got to read the code myself, I guess all we need to
do is to add a member in the plugin base class showing the type of
element it supports (8-bit int, 16-bit int, 32-bit int etc....) and
let the constructor of each plugin (both GEGL and non-GEGL) set it to
the correct value...........