Re: [Gimp-developer] non-destructive editing and adjustment layers

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM,  <kcleung users sourceforge net> wrote:
Thanks Liam, however does the current git master support non-destructive
editing and/or adjustment layer-like functionality?

It doesn't.

On the website, it says that when gimp is "fully ported" to GEGL, then
non-destructive editing will be supported.  Am I correct?

You are confused :)

Non-destructive editing is _possible_ after the complete port to GEGL.
But the complete port to GEGL doesn't automagically enable
non-destructive editing. There's more work involved.

Then how far is the current git master from the state of full-porting to GEGL?

I hope you are not asking for an ETA, because we have none :)

As far as I can tell, most work on rewrite of internals is done. But
more plug-ins have to be ported, and, I imagine, there are still
cleanups to be made here and there.

Also, is it true that real 16/32-bit channel support is only achievable
when all functions are ported to GEGL?  The current git master allows you
to create a new image with 32-bit gamma integer or float channel.  However
internally, will some legacy functions not yet ported to GEGL discards the
32-bit to the old 8-bit?

What kind of legacy functions would those be?

Alexandre