Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp Export Properties Not Preserved

On Sat 20 Jul 2013 12:35:15 PM CDT, Guillermo Espertino (Gez) wrote:
That made sense when save and export where the same thing. Actually,
it was me who reported the issue of GIMP destroying jpegs
inadvertently (default quality setting used to be 85 with the most
aggressive chroma subsampling, so overwriting a high quality jpg with
such crappy settings was a catastrophe).

Yes, I see the complication there. However, it does seem that the new file saving workflow addresses that concern. OVERWRITE should preserve the image file quality settings (I change Ctrl+S to Overwrite, personally). But I think EXPORT should be relative to the user's preferences, since you are usually exporting into a different quality level or different filetype.

In my oppinion (probably because my workflow was improved by the
change instead of being impeded) you should try alternative tools for
that work.
Darktable seems to be an excellent choice for batch processing and
judging by the example you just mentioned, I think it will fit to your
needs perfectly.

Darktable feels like it emphasizes a photographer’s workflow. "import" instead of "open", the default keyboard shortcuts are very strange (Ctrl+Z doesn't seem to do anything) and it isn't a "tool"-based workflow (there are no brushes, no text tool, no rubber stamp tool, nothing). For example, the way cropping works is very counter-intuitive for me and emphasizes quickly applying pre-set aspect ratios. At least that's my impression as a graphic design professional that's been using Photoshop since 1996.

I'm sure Darktable is great, but it doesn't have the features I need.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep getting things done in Gimp one way or another.

Jason Simanek