Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> when I point out the flaw in your argumentation.

Sorry, I must have missed that bit:-) As far as I recall,
you basically said "but what about people opening files
they didn't make", and I'm afraid I can see no
obvious connection to the topic at hand, which is trying
to unravel the logic of Gimp to switch to an import/export
workflow, because "data loss".

As far as I can ascertain, the logic is broken in two places,
one when the assumption is made that any file has to
be automatically promoted to a superset format and
therefore can't be save back to the file format that
it was opened from without some sort of data loss because of
that superset having the mere capability of holding information
the format can't handle, and the other being that when lossily
compressed images are opened, the lost bits have to be replaced with
invented zero's and thereafter these plucked-out-of-the-air bits are
simply assumed to be of absolute critical value to the user, in spite of
any indication that they are content with that level of
compression vs. file-size.

Graeme Gill.