Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Graeme Gill wrote:

>> Even the act of loading a file into memory as pixel data and then
>> recompressing on save is lossy for lossy formats and grayscale formats
>> outright destroy information if the original is color. It is not
>
> This type of argument simply doesn't hold water. A file that
> holds the image data in a lossily compressed format positively
> indicates that this is what the user intends. They have chosen
> a certain image quality vs. file size tradeoff, and not maintaining
> this choice is discarding the users preferences.

It must be wonderful to live in a world where people work only on
images they created themselves :)

>> The project file, the one that keeps ervery feature of gimp intact is
>> the xcf and you save to it. Any rendering you export to. And this
>> distinction will get even more important when we get to gegl backend
>> in full.
>
> So what ? You certainly don't want to create a superset storage file
> unless it contains more than the original file contains. To do so
> is simply wasteful and a burden on the user.

Um. Are you suggesting that GIMP should somehow begin to view files
differently as soon as some unsupported (re original file) feature
gets added? Like "Uh, oh, you added a layer, and PNG doesn't support
layers, so let's treat this as XCF after all"? :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org