Re: [Gimp-developer] Overlay Mode - fix.

On Sun, 2012-11-18 at 12:30 +0100, yahvuu wrote:
> Am 16.11.2012 18:12, schrieb Liam R E Quin:
> > W3C Consensus-based Process requires the Working Group to respond to,
> > and try to address, all outside comments before a specification moves
> > forward towards being a "Recommendation". So, if you have strong
> > feelings and expertise in this area, please do comment.
>
> no expertise and no strong feelings. In particular, no intention to
> discredit anybody's work or to sound disrespectful. My apologies
> if this came out wrong.

No need to apologise - the reason why we (W3C) put out working drafts is
that we make mistakes, or write specs that don't include some community
or other because we don't know about them.

Liam

> > See the "Status" section of the document on www.w3.org/TR/
> Thanks to your link i have searched the archives a bit and have learned that
>   1) there are color-interpolation and color-interpolation-filters properties
>   2) these have been in SVG for a long time
>
> It is not clear to me in what scope CSS compositing will use these properties.

Again, feel free to post a comment requesting that the draft be made
clearer.

> However, if i go by example of the Filter Effects Draft[1] --which both explicitly
> targets CSS and references the color interpolation properties-- this makes my
> original concerns look unfounded. When the rendering color space is explicitly
> specified, there may be differing browser capabilities to deal with, but it is
> hard to imagine any adverse impact on GIMP.

The only thing I see is that GIMP should be able to reproduce the
specified compositing effect accurately. Long term, I expect all
browsers to behave pretty much identically, to the extent this makes
sense in different hardware and operating environments. Certainly that's
the goal and the reason for the spec.

Best,

Liam

The barefoot typographer - http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/