Re: [Gimp-developer] Overlay Mode - fix.

Am 16.11.2012 00:24, schrieb Liam R E Quin:
> On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 21:30 +0100, yahvuu wrote:
>> how much support for 'web type' blending modes does GIMP really need?
>
> This Web thing will never take off, it's just a momentary... er...
> wait :)

Or:  "The Internet? Is that thing still around?"  :)

GIMP does not have support for photoshop softlight mode.
GIMP does not have support for SVG softlight mode.
GIMP does not even have a ticket open for that.
Does GIMP really need specific support for the 'web-softlight in sRGB' blending mode?

>> GIMP is not a HTML editor, this has been clearly pointed out in [1].
>
> The W3C compositing spec applies to images as well as text.
> One could combine separate images as layers in a Web application.

That is exactly my point: combining separate image layers for a web page is the job
of the Web application (or browser). It is not GIMP's job.

As long as no common web image format is multi-layered, GIMP does not strictly need
to support web-specific blending modes. And even in that case, the necessary support
might be considered as export functionality. Functionality, which should be kept separate
from the composition's features (aka list of native GIMP blending modes).

>>  supposedly, no two browsers will do it the same.
> Supposed by whom? The purpose of HTML 5, and of specifications like
> Compositing, is *precisely* so that all the major browsers work the same
> way.

Please pardon my scepticism. I really do hope that it will work out as intended.
But optimists are just pessimists without experience, they say :)
I mean, color management did not enter the world of browsers _that_ smoothly.
And the related pitfalls do have impact on GIMP.

What is the state of discussion in W3C? Is it already settled that compositing
will be performed in sRGB? Does a migration plan towards blending in linear light
exist? Or is it ruled out explicitly for the future?

best regards,
yahvuu