Re: [Gimp-developer] [enhancement] Improved layer-visibility icons

> From: speakwithbruce gmail com
> Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 17:40:54 +1000
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] [enhancement] Improved layer-visibility icons
>
> Good discussion. :)
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Stratadrake, you could probably file this as an enhancement in GNOME and just link to this mailing list thread.
> We've probably covered most of the different ways of approaching this.

Done.  There was one more alternative icon that hit me this morning - an outlined version of the eye icon - but yeah, there are enough alternative ideas brought to the table already.

Also, as gfxuser suggested not showing an icon at all could also work, however we would lose the ability to tell at a glance whether or not the layer is individually visible (i.e: with respect to its group).  Aka, it no longer conveys that hiding a group does not affect or destroy the visibility states of items inside that group.  This was probably the reason we even have the current behavior in the first place rather than, say, Inkscape's behavior where all layers show only the icon that corresponds to their individual visibility status.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com