Re: [Gimp-developer] [enhancement] Improved layer-visibility icons

Good discussion. :)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM, gfxuser said:

as we already realized the current solution to show hidden layers' icons in groups is a bit confusing. IMO less opacity doesn't change this much. A slashed icon indeed has more visual weight than a non-slashed one. But this suggests exactly the opposite of the actual visibility.
The second drawback is that the user has to keep a third state in mind: a visible layer in a hidden group. Actually two states are sufficient - a layer is visible or not.
Informations about visible sublayers are relevant only if the group itself is visible. So why not simply hide the icons in the sublayers if the group itself is hidden? This would show the facts and only the facts and thus be less confusing.

Good point.

We've been trying to improve the current icons, when perhaps something like what you suggested would be better. (A forest for the trees type situation.)

But that's okay. I feel all of this helps provide feedback and useful examples and ideas the developers can draw on.

Stratadrake, you could probably file this as an enhancement in GNOME and just link to this mailing list thread. We've probably covered most of the different ways of approaching this.

as we already realized the current solution to show hidden layers' icons in groups is a bit confusing. IMO less opacity doesn't change this much. A slashed icon indeed has more visual weight than a non-slashed one. But this suggests exactly the opposite of the actual visibility.
The second drawback is that the user has to keep a third state in mind: a visible layer in a hidden group. Actually two states are sufficient - a layer is visible or not.
Informations about visible sublayers are relevant only if the group itself is visible. So why not simply hide the icons in the sublayers if the group itself is hidden? This would show the facts and only the facts and thus be less confusing.

Best regards,

grafxuser