Re: [Gimp-developer] contribution processes...

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Michael Muré wrote:
> I completed the "How to port" section in the wiki

Thanks a ton! :) I think we'll still need more technical info, but
that's probably for another page.

The matrix also has to be enhanced, but I'll take care of that in a while.

> I have a suggestion, what about using a Git based wiki like Gollum
> (https://github.com/github/gollum) to host the UI specifications ? This is
> the wiki system used on Github. It works the same as a classic wiki, but all
> the data are stored in a Git repository. It would allow:
> - Still easily usable by non-developers
> - Facilitate the interaction with the developer team, by having change on
> the wiki reported in real time in the IRC channel.
> - People can propose patch for the spec without need to have an account.
> - Gollum understand the Mediawiki syntax, so the migration should not be too
> difficult (I never used Gollum though)
> - UI designer can use website like http://www.ohloh.net/ to track their work
> and get a more visible recognition.

I really have no special opinion on that. I am, however, concerned
about "People can propose patch for the spec without need to have an
account." -- that smells like a welcome sign to spammers. And that's,
as far as I can tell, the only reason we have user registration by
request at wiki.gimp.org and gui.gimp.org.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org