Re: [Gimp-developer] What about switching from Gtk+ to Qt

Hi Partha,

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 07:22:35 -0400
Partha Bagchi <partha1b gmail com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Mukund Sivaraman <muks banu com> wrote:
> > Hi Shlomi
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 01:21:03PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >> In any case, I would be willing to work on porting GIMP's build system to
> >> CMake, as long as there is a general agreement from GIMP's developers that
> >> CMake will be available in addition or instead of GNU Autotools (so I won't
> >> work for naught).
> >
> > Automake has served GIMP well so far. We also have several people who
> > know automake well enough to help other developers if they are unable
> > to find their way.  Do we need to change to CMake?  Nobody has given
> > reasons so far, just assumed that we'd like to switch to CMake.  It
> > would substitute one hell for another.
> >
> > Same applies for Qt. These suggestions keep coming up again and again.
> > GIMP should be rewritten in C++, GIMP should use some other new thing,
> > etc.  Many times I look at how GIMP does something (in its tree) as an
> > example of how to do something nearly perfectly.
> >
> >                 Mukund
>
> I totally agree with Mukund. I sincerely hope that we continue with
> using GNU make which works extremely well as far as I am concerned.

CMake can generate GNU make-compatible makefiles just fine, so unless you meant
GNU Automake, that's not the issue. CMake can also generate project files for
other IDEs and support some other build-systems, all from the same sources, so
in this respect it is far superior to GNU Autohell.

> Of course, if GIMP is re-written in qbasic that would be great. :) :) Maybe APL?

We should rewrite GIMP in PDP-10 Assembly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-10 .

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish