Re: [Gimp-developer] What about switching from Gtk+ to Qt

Hi all,

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 04:44:21 +0400
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Malix wrote:
>
> > I already know that this post will generate a lot of flames.
>
> But you do it anyway?
>
> > Next step of the project is the porting of the code to Gtk 3
>
> It started over a year ago, it's just lower priority right now.
>
> > why instead not switching away from gtk and go with Qt?
>
> Because developers prefer GTK+? Because GTK+ was born from GIMP, so
> there's a bond between the two projects?
>
> > And also leave autohell and switch to make?
>
> What is make, please? Are you referring to CMake maybe? :)

They meant CMake, yes (as they noted in the followup E-mail).

> Personally I don't mind it. Would you like to provide a patch?

I would very much like to see GIMP use CMake as its build system as well,
having had a very positive experience with using CMake for projects such as
http://fc-solve.shlomifish.org/ ,
https://bitbucket.org/shlomif/website-meta-language/overview , and
http://www.shlomifish.org/rwlock/ . I've written about CMake’s advantages over
GNU Autotools here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/anti/autohell/

In any case, I would be willing to work on porting GIMP's build system to
CMake, as long as there is a general agreement from GIMP's developers that
CMake will be available in addition or instead of GNU Autotools (so I won't
work for naught).

Note that by this, I don't mean that I support the conversion of GIMP to Qt,
which was the original poster’s other suggestion.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish