Re: [Gimp-developer] something's starting, it is the text tool

On Dec 19, I wrote:

> The GIMP UI team just got a bit bigger. Dominique Schmidt
> will work the first 3 months of 2012 on an appropriately
> sized UI design project. The deliverable is a UI spec.

today we picked the topic Dominique will be working on:

working with text in GIMP, specifically with the text tool.

to start tackling this from the right end, we from the UI team
first want to better understand the role of text in working with
GIMP. specifically work that is within the product vision:

- high-end photo manipulation;
- creating original art from images;
- producing icons, graphical elements of web pages and
 art for user interface elements.

it is easy to see that GIMP is not a program to write a letter in,
or to lay out 200 pages of text. but beyond that, we want to get
a better feeling what the role of text is within the image
manipulation that you do with GIMP.

so please help us by replying here, with you answer what
text means to you when working with GIMP.

ps: I think mitch and nomis are the two developers most interested
in this topic, and we would like to sit down soon with them to
hash out a vision for text(tool) in GIMP, based on what we can
distill out of this survey.

pps: Tobias Ehni, can you already contribute here?

thanks,

    --ps

            man + machine interface works

        http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture