Re: [Gimp-developer] something's starting, it is the text tool

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM, peter sikking wrote:

> so please help us by replying here, with you answer what
> text means to you when working with GIMP.

Two primary uses in my case.

1. Really small text frames: with few words in not more than two rows
(think logos, captions for screenshots etc.). Adjustments: font, font
face, size, letter spacing, baseline offset, color. Missing property:
stroke color.

2. Rather large text frames, with lots of rows of text (think website
mockups). Adjustments: text frame size for text reflow, font, font
face (selectively), font size (for the whole frame), underline, color.

There are cases when I'd make a good use of editable text on path, so
for now I have to go to Inkscape for that.

In some cases I need special characters like proper quote marks (we
use French quillomets in Russian), but I mostly rely on Compose key
(it's a Linux/X11 thing). There is an alternative solution for GNOME
currently under review:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/ExtraCharacters

P.S. Having "Sans" font always by default is a major irritating
factor, because it never makes sense. Perhaps I should be setting up
an proper alias instead, but somehow I never find myself doing that.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org