Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP UI quality opinion

2012/2/17 Aleksandar Kovač <alex open design gmail com>:

> On 12-02-17 0:57 , Aleksey Midenkov wrote:

>>> Generally, you're not doing those things more than once per image (well,
>>> when downscaling a large image by a lot -- say, reducing a 100 megapixel
>>> panorama to a web-size thumbnail -- I do it in multiple passes of no
>>> more than 50% each, which seems to reduce jaggies and moire patterns).
>>
>> Yes once per image, you right. But this doesn't change the point. The
>> click count from menu is at least twice, if from submenu then 3x. Also
>> such functions as 'Autolevel' is 3-4 clicks. When I have 10 photos I
>> need to process in some manner if I spend on one image 20 clicks, it
>> will be 200 clicks. From toolbar it would be, say, 70-90 clicks. And
>> please don't suggest me to write batch script (I know you have that in
>> Gimp).
>

> Hi People,
>
> Just to add another Slav by the name of Alex in the mix. I smell a
> conspiracy! :)
>
> On a topic of counting mouse-clicks and slightly off topic considering GIMP
> UI, since it mentions 'kitchens'.
>
> If anyone, anytime soon, happens to travel back in time. Please, find the
> guy or girl who started the mouse-click counting as a measure for 'quality'
> of user interfaces. Once you find him/her, please have them
> institutionalized. As a precedent. When you get back, I will give you a
> subscription to any dirty, non-dirty or cooking mag of your choice. For
> life.
>
> Mouse-click counting is a nice heuristic tool ('heuristic' being just a
> fancy word for something that amounts to 'not even a guideline') with a
> history brimming with stupendous displays of misuse. It causes obsessive
> counting disorder, too. This obsession seems to be contagious, spreading out
> from the world of 'measure/manage/makebelieve' infecting hard working, nice,
> decent people everywhere.
>
> For Alexei, and for myself, the other day I was counting the hits needed to
> hammer down a nail. About 6 hits per-nail on average! And not much of a nail
> it was. Inefficient hammer, inefficient nail, inefficient me? And the very
> keyboard I am typing on right now demands a stroke for each letter.
> Shouldn't it recognize my words almost automatically by now, somehow?
> Saddened by the inefficiency of the real world, I sat down to write; using
> good old ink pen and paper. Sure enough, I started counting the strokes! Too
> many strokes. Try playing a piano - minimum 3 keys pressed for a lousy
> chord. Take a walk... The steps! Running? Talking? Yikes!
>
> Repetitive little actions here are a way to get the things done. Not the
> only way, mind you. Just a way. A means to an end. There are many ways to
> get those things done. Use glue instead of nails, dictate a letter, use a
> sampler instead of a piano, ride a bike...
>
> There are many existing ways we can control a machine. There are also many
> open pathways we can explore to further the ways we control the machines
> [...]

That is one great piece of rubbish! :-) Because I'm telling about
mouse-clicks from my personal experience. And I know about how much
time they take because I'm using a lot of many different GUI. And when
the GUI demands many mouse clicks, I note the inconvenience right
away. This is my personal experience as of user of graphical
environments for 15 years. And this poem looks like the training in
essay skills.