Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP UI quality opinion

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:

>> Simply put, we know that GIMP's UI still sucks in many respects. We've
>> been improving it since several years
>
> That's what I'm asking about. What are you thinking all these years?

Mostly we've been thinking about maintaining the project with what few
developers we have around.

> I'm using Gimp for years and ever wonder when the toolbars will go on
> the scene and why there are such crippled interface like toolbox going
> to background.

Toolbars are not a silver bullet.

> Yes, I know that you know. And I know that I'm not the
> first one who writes about that.

So the point of your rant is...?

> But along all these years when no one
> from Gimp creators scratched their head to get it more convenient

Dead wrong. See gui.gimp.org for reference. Then *after* you studied
what exactly we've done with UI since 2006 (the first OpenUsability
project) I suggest you come back and say in the open that you
repeatedly made a wrong statement. Whether you are really sorry about
that or not doesn't matter much to me.

> everyone must ask that question. Over and over. And you should answer
> it every time, you deserve it. Spare your sarcasm.

Oh no :) I'm entitled to using as much sarcasm as I feel is required.
You asked for it the moment you started a rant.

You see, we are quite open about what we do, why and how we do it. Our
work is public. Everything we do can be questioned. The thing is: do
you want to be polite and continue the conversation in a civilized
manner or do you want to continue prancing around and end-up being
ignored? It's entirely up to you. We deal with criticism on a daily
basis.

> To Martin: even Save and Save as on toolbar saves one click. Not
> saying about such repitive operations as Rotate, Resize, Auto levels
> etc. Now trivial photo treatment is done with the whole lot of clicks!
> I'm pretty sure their count can be reduced thrice with toolbars.

1. We are aiming at professionals who tend to rely on shortcuts.
2. We take a great care providing as much vertical space for actual
images as possible.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org