Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP UI quality opinion

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:

> Do I look like screaming? That is reee-e-ally fun! :-) No, of course
> I'm not screaming.

I'm sorry, but with the amount of exclamation marks you used, the
general negative tone and your unwilingness to have a civil
conversation it _really_ looks like you are short of vitamins. But
that's the boring part really.

Now, the interesting part is what users we should be catering to.

You see, development of an application is a lot about focus,
especially when you are as shorthanded as the GIMP team and deal with
as huge code base as the one that GIMP has.

We consider it crucial to satisfy the needs of advanced users in the
first place. That involves studying their workflows (which we did in
2006 and then again in late 2011), working out strategies for further
development, writing functional specs and, finally, writing the actual
code. All of that is a huge amount of work, but we do it anyway.

Your general point boils down to this: you picked the wrong tool and
you are blaming us for not catering to your needs. If you don't see
what's wrong with that attitude, then subsequent conversation is just
meaningless.

You are, of course, in your right to aggressively refuse checking
facts and understanding what usability is about, but that's not the
kind of behavior that's going to lead to a constructive discussion.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org